Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Daun Pandan is widely used in Southeast Asian cooking! It has good aroma and flavour to cooked food or dessert!This plant is widely cultivated and commonly seen at the backyard.


It's has fan-shaped ,long, narrow, blade-like leaves and woody aerial roots. The plant is sterile, flowers only grow very rarely, and is propagated by cuttings.

I had few cuttings from my neighbour last year and it's growing well with little care. I don't fertilize them but it' happy with only water!

It's used as cockroach repellent too!


 

8 comments:

  1. Is it just used as a flavouring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and a cool looking foliage plant to have.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one of those plants that we cannot do without. I used mine for wrapping marinaded chicken parts, then deep-fried - pandan chicken. Other times, I used in making coconut custard (kaya), flavouring sweet broth or in kuih-muih.Its such an amazing plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plant serves good if keep inside a car.

    A very pleasant smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I can grow it here in Japan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. which part is used for flavoring? the root? the leaves? Not a bad looking plant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Malar, I just pass by some pandan shrubs in the park this morning. The smell was so intense till i can still smell it now haha... Yours is absolutely beautiful. I am sure the fragrance is as great ;-) You have a great day and happy gardening. Cheers, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue: Yes. Usually the leaves will be discard after cooking.

    Sunray: I like their smell!

    Stiletto: To fry chicken? That's new for me! You should share the recipe with us! ;)

    rainfield: I should try this tips! Thanks!

    Lrong: ;)

    Wendy: the leaves!

    Stephanie: They really have strong smell!

    ReplyDelete