Monday, December 14, 2015

Jackfruit

I planted Jackfruit or "Nangka" tree 3 years ago. The first sight of small fruits was back 1 year ago. However, all of them drop down. I guess the tree was still young. I didn't put any hope too.


This year August, finally two of the fruits keep growing and I harvested a big jackfruit last weekend! One more is still small.

It was a fight between me and the monkeys. I thought I would let it ripe a bit more on the tree but monkeys were also looking forward for the fruit. I have no choice but to cut and bring it inside.


Since there was a small bite from the monkey, i cut open the fruit. The whole kitchen was feel with jackfruit smell. The fruit was ripe!

Surprisingly no smell came out when the fruit was hanging on the tree. I read somewhere that the fruit will burst into nice smell when ripe!


The taste was so sweet! The flesh was not so soft but still edible. 

6 comments:

  1. I love nangka but there's no space anymore at my homeyard. Hope one day I could have a piece of land for growing fruits plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nangka too and have to resort to buying them to satiate my yearning for it. Wouldn't thought of planting it as the canopy of leaves will kill the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malar, I opened wiki to read about Jackfruit, I've neverknown it. Interesting, I'd love to taste these 'Indian bread'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least we don't have monkeys to contend with when waiting for fruit to ripen here. Jack fruit is something that I have never come across.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to learn Chinese Kongfu in order to fight with the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess the monkeys acted as the 'sensor' as they are the first to know when the nangka is riped! Wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Malar!

    ReplyDelete