Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pest!

Once i started to grow vegetables, i realize that my garden are frequently infested by so many pest! aphids, mealy bug, catterpillar, etc...... Usually i will hand pick most of them. I tried soap + chili spray but it burn the leaves!

Day before i saw 50 -60 little baby catterpillar on my long beans leaves.....may be just hatched! and may be 10 fatty catterpillar munching the leaves.........yuck! I cut the leaves and throw away......

Finally yesterday i got so angry and sprayed pesticide on my plants except spinach! I know i have kill the good bugs too but I'm left with no choice!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. But no choice right? Keep trying then, you will find lesser pest. I think alphid that leaves white powder all over the plant is the worst kind ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have used organic pesticides, you don't have to worry about poisons in your food. Good luck to you and goodbye to the pests. Keep up the good job with your garden. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: I had the aphid with white powder on my Jasmine!
    Autumn: I didn't use organic type. That's why i never spray on my baby spinach. Next time i must buy the organic type. We can get in any nursery?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog just now and went through your posts. I too think organic pesticide is the best. Or you can try Neem powder. Another pest repellant is a decoction made by boiling tobacco leaves in water and cooling it. I use garlic juice to deter the white flies .Best of luck in your fight against the pests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am using chili cum galic spray. I am also experimenting with Nature's Way Insect & Mite Killer Natrasoap by Yates purchased at ACE Hardware Shop at 1-Utama. They are also selling some other type of organic pesticides which you can take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lotusleaf: May be i should try Neem next time! Thanks
    Autumn Belle: I should go to ACE then! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the plant is not huge, you could try washing the plant with dishwash and cleanwater. Just make a foam in your hands and then gently wash every part of the plant, concentrating on the underleaf. Leave for 10 minutes in shade and then rinse. If the plant is small enough, I lie the pot down and rinse the insects straight into the drain. I try not to rinse the insects back into the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Malar,

    Pest is definitely a cause for headaches to gardeners like us.

    For me, a concoction of garlic + bird's eyes chilli + dish washer + lotsa water to dilute the concoction works effectively.

    During a recent attack of tiny flies on my Thai sweet basil, I spray this concoction for 3 days, 2 times daily i.e. early morning or evening after the sun sets, to avoid any burning of the leaves. Miracally it helps to save my basil. I thought my basil woule be a gone case. However, after this treatment, they are growing healthily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JC : Thanks. I should try this concoction again! My previous attempt end up with burn leaves.....May be I sprayed too much.....

    ReplyDelete