Friday, November 8, 2013

starfruit

 
Belimbing or star fruit tree was planted 2 years ago in my garden. I get the interest on this plant after looking at the big tree with so many fruits harvested at one of my blogger friend website (mypotted garden)

Previously the tree was sharing place with sugar cane. The growth was not so good. Due to space constrain I remove the sugar cane and planted at new area. Soon after I realize star fruit tree grow so healthily.
 

From middle of this year I saw many flowers on the tree. So far we have harvested few fruits. It has tart and sweet taste! some fruits was spoil due to pest. I'm not sure how to prevent this. Many worm or may be pest larva was inside.

Nevertheless the tree is growing well now!


The star fruit !!!!

 

7 comments:

  1. Short of using pesticide, it looks like you have to wrap the better fruits with old newspapers. This is what I did with my jambu air fruits. They are great for rojak buah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malar, how are you? Try google or ask those who is growing this fruit tree on ways to control fruit worms like yours. Sorry can't offer specific advice. Enjoy that starfruit yeah. You have a great weekend!! Cheers, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these fruits in supermarkets but never tasted one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had the fruit before but I do know that fruit trees need sprayed to keep off the pests.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to harvest passion fruits very soon. Many of them..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Malar,
    Happy Deepavali!
    Your star fruit is doing great! Mine is belimbing buloh, rather sour and used in cooking. Star fruit makes delicious juice!
    Wish I have the space to grow starfruit and many other fruit trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stilleto: I can't wrap it since the monkeys ( my competitor) will know that there are fruits......as of now....they still haven't realize it! ;)

    Stephanie: I already pluck the fruits before fruit worm attack! hahaha...

    Sue: It has a tart and sweet taste! you should try it! ;)

    sunray: I need to spray I guess as the last option! ;)

    rainfiled: wow! juicy fruit!

    kitchen flavour: I got the inspiration from your belimbing tree only! ;)

    ReplyDelete