Wednesday, September 10, 2014

pineapple progress


Pineapple is growing slowly. More leaves are adding on. I found some tips in growing Pineapple from website :http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-pineapples.html

A few things you should know about pineapple plants:

Pineapples don't need much water. They have very tough leaves so they don't lose much water through evaporation. They can get by on very little.
Pineapples don't need much soil or high quality soil. They belong to the family of bromeliads, and like all bromeliads they do not have a big root system.
Pineapples get a lot of their water and nutrition through their leaves.
Pineapples like slightly acidic soils, which is what most gardens have anyway.
Pineapples grow in full sun, even in the hottest climates, but they also do well in dappled shade.
Pineapples grow very happily in pots or tubs.
What pineapples do not like is
soggy, waterlogged soils,
having their leaves burned with concentrated fertilisers,
frost.



I read somewhere that the leaves colours indicate the health state of the plant. I'm not so sure if mine is doing well but I think I have to put more hand on this plant. Oh yes, do some weeding too!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I grow some on my garden. Hope they will grow well and give me some fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Malar! I found really sweet and delicious pineapples these days at the Pasar Tani. They don't leave a 'rough' taste on the tongue. It is smaller than the usual ones - has a slender, longer crown. Cheap. Maybe now pineapple season. Enjoy planting yours and hope there will pineapple on the table soon :-) Thank you for participating for the book give-away. I hope to post it soon and congrats again :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing how these grow.

    ReplyDelete