This vegetables is very popular among the Indians. It's called "மந்தகாளி கீரை" or black nightshade in English. The young leaves and stem can be eaten. I have plant them with water spinach at the shade area of my garden.
It produce little tomatoes like fruits and off white flower, very much similar to tomatoes.
Just saute them with ginger and garlic. You can add shredded coconut too. Another way is to add dhal and make a thick paste which is called "kuuthu" . This plant is full of nutritions. Besides, it's also full of antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties. Raw leaves can be used in mouth ulcer treatment. It's been used for and to prevent stomach ulcer too!
I just started to plant this vegetable. From my experience this plant love a little shade since in my
previous attempt it died off after some stage due to hot sun. May someone can share on how to take care of this plant! ;)
It produce little tomatoes like fruits and off white flower, very much similar to tomatoes.
how the fruit looks like malar? what's the name in hindi..?
ReplyDeleteSounds like a very versatile plant. I guess the white flowers are like those on the potato too being from the same plant family.
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting. Will be interesting to see what you make with this vegetable.
ReplyDeleteCher Sunray Gardens
Hi Malar, I have not planted this plant before. But it is interesting to know that it can treat ulcer. The plant look happy at this spot. Good luck :-D
ReplyDeleteummuaidan: I'm not sure.... may be you can google black nightshade
ReplyDeletesue: Yes. Tehy have similar little flowers! ;)
sunray: There are a lot of dish can be made with this vegetable. The simple one is to saute with shreaded coconut! ;)
Don't forget to post the fruit picture later.
ReplyDeleteI have something for you if you have free time to visit.