Monday, August 27, 2012

Propagation of Costus

Costus is really exotic plant with spiral stem and red bract!

I learn to propagate them when I saw few new growth on the dried bract. I have 4 pots of Costus now. Somehow the propagated version are not tall as the mother plant. The bract is small too.

Anyone have same experience as mine?



6 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty plant. Love the foliage. By the way - I'm getting a malware warning! I read into it and it looks innocuous. Anyway, just fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely plant! While I've never propagated this plant, I just purchased a great book that shows how to propagate hundreds of different plants. I'm so excited to try to make new garden babies! Hope your costus continues to thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look very pretty, keep up the good work.

    AMi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy: Getting malware? Opps....hope you will solve it...

    Julie: Great book! Hope you can create a lot of babies soon!

    Ami: Thanks for dropping by! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malar, by malware, Wendy means we are getting a malware warning message when we click on your blog. I just take the risk and continue to open your blog page but other readers may avoid reading your blog because of the message. I don't know how to solve this problem, perhaps Wendy knows? I think she encountered this before.

      Delete
  5. I let the baby plant hang onto the dried bloom for awhile until roots develop. Then I cut if off and let it stand in a container of water for a few days. More roots will form, then transplant to soil. When cutting off a spent flower stalk with no plantlet, you can cut off the dried flower top, then cut the green stalk in 10-15cm pieces and stick into the soil. New shoots will soon appear. You need to add humus to the soil and fertilize it regularly for bigger blooms and greener, thicker foliage.

    ReplyDelete