Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The jungle of Puck manis!



At first I only had 2 "pucuk manis" plants. I propagate them from branches I bought at the wet market. Every time I harvest the cuttings, I re-plant them again. I was so greedy that I plant every branches. Nothing goes to the compose area and finally now I have a jungle of pucuk manis!

Pucuk manis is known as Sauropus androgynus. Also known as katuk, star gooseberry, or sweet leaf. In Chinese it is called mani cai,in Malay it is called cekur manis, sayur manis, or asin-asin. In Thai it is called pak waan; and in Vietnamese, it is called rau ngót. In Kerala -India it is called Malay Cheera.  And I call it Pucuk manis!


This vegetable is full of Vitamin K, C and protein!

In my garden, I can see them everywhere. They have grow tall and falling down due to heavy rain. I have influence my neighbour to plant them too. Finally I have a lot and with little people to share with!



7 comments:

  1. I only cucuk a few stems cuttings. Now it has grown continuously, giving me a regular harvest of cekur manis. It is a small little tree now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really like to try growing pucuk manis here in Japan... tried to get the seeds but don't think it will survive the cold... your pucuk manis looks lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this vege a lot Malar. Your bushes look very appealing. Now that you have lots of them, you don't need to buy anymore :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Malar,
    Wah, your pucuk manis really is growing very well! I planted mine in a pot and the roots have find their way out of the pot and small plants are growing on the ground, without much soil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn Belle: It's really easy to grow plant!

    Lrong: May be next time you can try cuttings. It's easy to grow!

    Sue: The leaves! They taste sweet!

    Stephanie: Yes! no more market bought!

    kitchen flavour: This plant is real survivor! hahhaha... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eating the leaves and usually cook it with coconut milk/santan.I think I'll start planting at the backyard.

    ReplyDelete