Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tumeric !

I don't remember of planting Tumeric rhizome before....... Did i ? or may be i throw some of the rhizome after my house warming ceremony a year ago and it grow so slowly from that day?

This area of garden receive full sun all the day long and i hardly water this area. Poor Tumeric plant! I should clean this place and provide water for it!

Turmeric have many benefit. It's called "Manjal" in Tamil . Turmeric is used as food additive ( E100), as colouring agent, Indian must have turmeric rhizome in their prayers function as well as wedding and currently in cosmetic industries.

I found some medical benefit of Turmeric from Wikipedia:
 In Ayurvedic practices, turmeric has many medicinal properties and many in South Asia use it as a readily available antiseptic for cuts, burns and bruises. It is also used as an antibacterial agent.


It is taken in some Asian countries as a dietary supplement, which allegedly helps with stomach problems and other ailments. It is popular as a tea in Okinawa, Japan. It's also used as an anti-inflammatory agent, and remedy for gastrointestinal discomfort associated with irritable bowel syndrome, and other digestive disorders. Turmeric is applied to a piece of burnt cloth, and placed over a wound to cleanse and stimulate recovery. Indians, in addition to its Ayurvedic properties, use turmeric in a wide variety of skin creams that are also exported to neighboring countries.
I use turmeric powder in my cooking from curry to sambal! How about you?


At the very corner

6 comments:

  1. I love tumeric roots, the leaves and the powder too. I use the leaves to cook rendang and nyonya asam chicken, my mom always says, rendang is not complete without the tumeric leaves. Have you seen the flowers of the tumeric? I grew them before, they are really beautiful, striking colour of yellowish orange, stunning! I just planted the root bought from the market about a week ago, but have yet to see any sprouts. But tumeric is rather slow at sprouting, just have to wait a little bit longer. Your leaves look so healthy, if your plant is mature enough,pretty soon you might see some flower buds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been successful in planting tumeric roots,they did show a bit of leaves then became rotten after that. But Im still trying new ones, cos as kitchen flavours said, rendang is not a rendang without tumeric leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I don't think rendang is complete without turmeric leaves. You can freeze turmeric leaves you know. Well you don't have to since you can pick fresh. I tell you a secret , don't laugh:) when I was living in Japan, I brought back lots of turmeric leaves from Malaysia to Japan and keep it in freezer.LOL. I envy you for your turmeric plant. Mine is dead becuase of winter so now I am waiting for the rhizomes to sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a pleasant discovery to find your tumeric growing happily within your house compound. If it was from those used at your house warming ceremony, I'm sure this is a good omen. I have a tumeric plant too. I cook tumeric rice (nasi kunyit) and tumeric chicken with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitchen Flavour: I should wait for their flowers then!

    p3chandan : I don't have any experience too with Turmeric but i think they don't like a lot of water!( since i seldom water them) may be....

    MKZ: Yes, we don't have to freeze any vegetables here! I never cooked rendang before but my mother does! Anyway good information for me!

    Autumn Belle: Tumeric chicken? Another good recepi to try out! It should have grown from the thrown away turmeric as i don't buy any root. I buy the powdered version all this while. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its must be interesting to find the tumeric plant growing at the edge of the garden.
    What plant is that (vine) that grows so lushly in that space?

    ReplyDelete