Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Daun Pandan

Pandan or Pandanus Amaryllifolius is scented leave plant. It's used widely in Asian cooking for the flavouring. The aroma of pandan is caused by the aroma compound 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline which is the same compound found is Basmati rice, white bread, etc

The other day I asked 2 cuttings from my Neighbour. She have bunch of them so fresh and so green. Usually she will cut many of them and distribute to us. She use to tell that they are invasive. I'm more than happy to receive them. Let's see if the weeds can make home in my garden. I do use the leaves a lot too!




6 comments:

  1. I heard somewhere that pandan can repel some pest. I wish if I could grow pandan here. But the weather not suitable for them to grow in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pandan is one of my favourite plant! Hope yours grow healthy and bushy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that she gave you starts. They look like they should do fine for you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my fav plant...ppsssst: do u know the name of this chilli...
    http://e-nalovelykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/pedas-gilerrr.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of pandan. Initially I had trouble growing them but I have found the right spot. They need a lot of water. Sometimes I boil pandan with serai to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you put some pandan leaves in your ricepot, the cooked rice will have the aroma of nasi lemak. I also use the excess pandan leaves that I have to cut off, let it dry a bit and put in my cabinets as a pest deterrent. I find it easier to grow pandan if your root them in a container of water first before you plant them in the soil. They grow rapidly from there.

    ReplyDelete