Monday, January 10, 2011

Periwinkle



Maroon variety
 I have added 2 types of periwinkles to my garden earlier last year. It grow very well but after sometimes they died leaving little seedling around. These seedling does not grow lushly like the mother yet give some flowers for the day!

white with pink
 Caterpillars use to munch their tasty ( i think so) leaves most of the time!


Some of the little seedling in rose pot! I never transplant and let them grow together with the rose plant due to the fear that they will die of transplant shock. It did happen before!


These is totally new in my garden. May be they pollinate themselves and create new type!

6 comments:

  1. good luck on your periwinkles. They are so lovely and always ever blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that caterpillar eat periwinkle flower too. They never did disturb the self-seeded periwinkle in our place but always munching the Asian greens. Wow many sweet colours they bloom for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no luck in growing periwinkles, they die off very fast every time i bring them back from the nursery. I stop planting them after i read from a article that they are poisonous. Don't panic, i think they are only poisonous if you eat them like salad. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey.... I just got the maroon periwinkle too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. James: They are very lovely indeed!

    MKZ: The caterpillar in my garden love the leaves!

    Milka: Poison? I'm not so sure about it but what i know is that this plant have medical purpose and used in canser remedy. That's why the "MAKNA" have this flower as their logo.....

    OKC: That's great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Periwinkles can stand a caterpillar attack, even after becoming bald, the leaves will grow back. Yes, Malar, periwinkles are toxic plants. You can google to check their toxicity level and effects. Be careful when you have small children and pets, you have to teach them not to eat any of the plant parts or play with it as it may ooze poisonous sap. The dosage used in curing cancer is different and the method, I think is something like 'using poison to combat poison' So you see it can cure cancer but we are healthy people. Consuming the plant parts will harm us, not save our lives!

    Having said that, I grow a lot of periwinkle plants too but I don't have small children to worry about. Funny how the caterpillars can eat the leaves but won't die? Well, that's the beauty of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete