Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pucuk Manis - The progress!


Pucuk Manis @ Cekur Manis which is also scientifically known as  "Sauropus androgynus" is popular leaf vegetables in South Asia.


The leaves are in dark green but mine is lighter ...may be due to lack of Sun. The Mango tree is shading them!

Usually the leaves are stir fry with egg or grated coconut. We can also make soup with the leaves. The leaf has a sweet taste. This vegetable is among the few flora which contain Vitamin K.

The propagation of this vegetable is very easy. Just chop few of the branches. harvest the leaf and plant back the stem to the ground! They are very easy to grow!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Malar, yes i've been seeing your comments in posts i visit too. I am not familiar with this plant, maybe we don't eat that here. Thanks for commenting in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of it before but it sure is nice how easily you can root the leftover stem.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to eat it especially when cooked with pumpkin gulai masak lemak. Delicious!

    It just this plant need a lot of pruning so that it will produce a lot of shoots. At my house, I will make sure it will not exceed more than 1.5 M.

    Also it is easy to handle cuz this is a perennial plant after all.

    Btw, do you fertilize your cekur manis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea: Thanks for visiting my blog! I think it's not popular vegetable over your side of the world.

    Sunray: It's very easy to grow vegetable!

    I Wong: That's new gulai for me! I do fertilize them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll look out for this plant. Not sure if I've seen it in the market before.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete