Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Daikon Radish @ lobak putih






Daikon Radish which is known as Lobak Putih in Malaysia is full of Vitamin C. It's popular vegetables in Asia, especially in Japan, India, China and Korea.

many way of cooking radish is available.

In Chinese cuisine, turnip cake and chai tow kway are made with daikon.

In Korean cuisine, a varietal is used to make kakdugi and nabak kimchi use the vegetable, in addition to the soup muguk.

In Japanese cuisine, many types of pickles are made with daikon including takuan and bettarazuke. Daikon is also frequently used shredded and mixed into ponzu (a soy sauce and citrus juice condiment) as a dip. Simmered dishes are also popular such as oden. Cut and dried daikon is called Kiriboshi-daikon(literally, cut-dried daikon) which is a common method of preserving food in Japan. Daikon radish sprouts (Kaiware-daikon) are used for salad or garnishing of sashimi. Daikon leaf is frequently eaten as green vegetables. Pickles and stir frying are common. The Daikon leaf is one of a leaves of Festival of Seven Herbs, called suzushiro.


In South India, daikon is the principal ingredient in a variety of sambhar, in which roundels of the radish are boiled with onions, tamarind pulp, lentils and a special spice powder. When cooked, it can release a very strong odor. This soup called 'mullangi sambar' (முள்ளங்கி சாம்பார்) is very popular and mixed with cooked rice to make a good meal.

( information from internet)

I harvested 3 of them yesterday. One ( not in the photo) goes in to my sambhar or Dhal curry. 2 more is inside the fridge. The leaves are kept to for stir fry! The leaf taste a bit like Sawi. One of them have started flower but the root is not hard.




9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why, but I can't find any picture in this post. I use daikon to make herbal soups but I like daikon in kimchi and in Japanese food too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..I never knew that we can eat the leaves..thanx for telling me..I have just started germinating Daikon..Luckily I know now that we can eat the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried daikon with sambhar yet. So I am very curious on how it taste like cos it sounds very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see all the photos love the shady atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, the photos can be viewed. I have never seen daikon flowers and they are very sweet. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2012, Malar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm still waiting to harvest my daikon...not sure when's the right time to do it...we normally use daikon in masak lemak sliced thinly & pair it with carrots...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autumn Belle: Their flowers look same as other leaf evgetabels except in white!

    Sunray: I hope you can see them now! ;)

    Rabbit: Yes it's edible. Enjoy growing them!

    MKZ: They taste good!

    Sue: This plants grow well at shaded area of my garden!

    Hangkebon: You can harvest them when they have add a lot of leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just read a post by Malay-Kadazan girl about daikon seeds. I used to work in a vegetable store and loved eating it raw. We're going to try growing it this year. Thanks for all the great recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete