Friday, December 2, 2011

Own space for Avacado!


Finally Avocado tree gets it's own space to grow. Previously it was growing with Ornamental bushes which we planted as natural gate. However now we realise the bushes doesn't serve the purpose and taking a lot of space. So i have remove it! I think the Avocado tree look more cheerful now than before!

This Avocado was planted from seed. Unintentionally though as i always eat and throw all the waste at compose area that make some to germinate.

Avocado is very big tree is reality. I'm not sure if it can grow over here in small space but i shall take the wait and see method. Looking at the price tag at the fruit stalls or supermarkets make me smile to have a tree at home! 1 fruit cost RM5 !  

11 comments:

  1. Looks like it handled the transplant well. I know they can get fair size but not sure how big and if that will be enough space. You can always keep it the size you want though.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like a kid that is having his own room now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was small, I thought Avacado just like apple, an imported fruit and can't be grown in Malaysia. Later when I entered UPM, I realized my assumption was totally wrong.

    I hope the space won't cranked the avacado roots system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how long before you pick your first fresh fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have several avocado plants... all germinated from seeds that we threw away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunray: I was thinking he same! ;)

    rainfield: hahahahha....

    I Wong: I learn about Avacado later than you! hahaha...

    Sue: I think another 5 -6 years may be..!

    Lrong: Really? I must get some tips from you then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Francis Ng has written 2 posts about growing avocado in Malaysia:
    a) growing avocado in Malaysia

    http://tropicalhorticulture.blogspot.com/2011/04/avocados-for-kuala-lumpur.html

    b) pruning the tree to a manageable height

    http://tropicalhorticulture.blogspot.com/2011/10/pruning-of-avocado.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure your avocado will bear you many fruits in the future as it looks really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did it. I had wondered whether I should try growing one from seed too, but the tree would be too large. I guess you have to start pruning it.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew a huge avocado from seed but it never had any fruit in almost 20 years...and other avocados do bear fruit in my neighborhood. I have heard that named varieties are more likely to give fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i also love avocado....first learn about its nutritious and taste after reading a local novel..can get them cheap in Cameron Highland..few years back...so don't forget to show off ya...the fruit...will try to plant the seed in a pot..

    ReplyDelete