Baby sunflowers are growing in my garden's flower bed. I sow 5 seeds ( given by MKZ from malaykadazangirls) and only 2 growing healthily! Another 1 sunflower is struggling due to snail! 2 more seedling is gone! I'm having problem with the snails! These snails are small and like to munch most of my vegetables! I can see them everywhere! My previous 4 seedlings of sunflowers ( seeds was given by JC of mysunnyhappygarden) was eaten up by this pest too!
Hope these two sunflowers will grow big! I'm going to put egg crush today to prevent the nasty snails from approaching my little sunflowers ! Any other way to prevent snail attack?
Hope these two sunflowers will grow big! I'm going to put egg crush today to prevent the nasty snails from approaching my little sunflowers ! Any other way to prevent snail attack?
There are many ways to deal with this problem. For me, I'll avoid the snail infected area and try to germinate seeds at a different spot in the future. Since you have only used up 5 seeds, you can grow the rest in a pot of new soil. I am sure they will be safe there. I've used up all my seeds. A dozen growing healthily. Should bloom in a month.
ReplyDeleteSome says you can use copper band around the seedlings to avoid snail crossing over. But I have never try this method. Like Kwee Peng, I avoid place that snails like to hide during the day or reduce those area like dark places during the day, under the rocks or container pots something like that. Wow Malar thumbs up, you sowed 5 seeds and all of them germinated.
ReplyDeleteI think egg crush would be good enough. Some use coffee grounds and even beer, can google it. Good luck ;)
ReplyDeletepersonally I had tried few of these method, they only minimise the damage but somehow eventually they will still come back.
ReplyDeleteThe best thing you can do is go to a nursery and buy a powdered stuff that contains 1000's of bacteria that kills snail and slug. I think it would cost lest that RM10.00
and that will save you lots of heartache when it comes to precious little plants.
Soon you have lovely sunflowers in your garden Malar. I have still got some seeds from Bangchik and also from Diana but waiting for new flower beds before sowing them. So far I found only one snail in my garden, but Im not giving them any chance so Im also using crushed eggshells.
ReplyDeleteLucky that I do not have snail problems... looks like you need some drastic measures to really clear your plot from them...
ReplyDeleteSnails are really a problem. They move very slow but can eat real quick! I usually just remove the snails!
ReplyDeleteOne organic way of killing snails is to place roughly crushed eggshells around your plant. Apart from giving nutrient, it also will cut the snails' soft tissue and lead them to dehydration.
ReplyDeleteDear All,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your advice. I shall try to find about the powder that contain bacteria too! My garden have many snails. All over the garden.....so i just can't avoid it....
Hi Malar, you can get snail prevention pellets (in red color) from any hardware shop or nursery. Just sprinkle them near the plants where you do not want snails to come near. It is poisonous, so will not be suitable to sprinkle them near your edible plants.
ReplyDelete