Sugarcane juice is very refreshing drinks during hot weather! I remember during my schooling time, i use to drink the juice at least once a week! Sometimes, i will just munch the sugarcane by itself. Indians have a belief that biting and eating sugarcane make the teeth strong and clean!
During Indian festival especially Ponggal, sugarcane will be tied in front of the house to resemble sweet year ahead!
This year after the festival, i cut and planted the stem. It's growing happily! The stem are still thin and young! I can imagine sugarcane juice in near future! hahahhaa....
Haha my dear Malar, i see you're so cute you try to plant almost everything in your garden. Good for you :) I can't handle anything that is big and tall like this sugarcane lor. Do monkeys eat sugarcane? I hope no.
ReplyDeleteBlessed New Year to you Malar. May good blessings and fortune come with joyful laughter and happiness in your family and friends.
ReplyDeleteI hope the plant won't get too big for your garden patch. I have seen people grow it outside their house and it can turn into a big clump. Hokkiens use sugar cane in prayers during the 9th Day of CNY. Some believe that if we use sugar canes with the top and bottom intact, it denotes head and tail i.e. everything has a good begining and a good ending, besides the sweetness of life. Also the length of the sugar cane denote 'rise to the top'. See, so many good things associated with the sugar cane!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are having quite a bit of fun with the sugar cane...
ReplyDeleteHi Malar, I love sugarcane too. My mom used to plant them when I was little. My sisters and myself would challenge to see who would bite off the hard skin first! It was so much fun! We just bite a chunk of the flesh and chew it for the juice. Have not had this in decades!
ReplyDeleteHope you have many juicy stem in the near future. Oh craving some sugarcane juice.
ReplyDeleteIt would be nice to drop by your house , and being served air tebu!
ReplyDeleteCool!! I remember my parents used to buy it and we'd just sit outside and chew on the plants in the summer time, happy as can be.
ReplyDeleteMilka: I always feel like want to plant everything! Hahaha...
ReplyDeleteJames: Thanks for the wishes!
Autumn Belle: That's another interesting belief on sugarcane! Anyway this plant does have a sweet taste!
Lrong: I finding information on sugarcane planting now! hahahaha...
kitchen flavour: Hey! We did that too while young!
MKZ
Bangchik
You're welcome to my house may be in 8mths time to taste the fresh juice! ;)
Wendy: Yes! it's very refresh juice on hot day!