Friday, May 30, 2014

Rangoon creeper

I use to admire the Rangoon creeper in my neighbourhood so much. The flowers are so beautiful.


I bought a young plant from nursery last year. However due to my negligence I almost lost the plant. Finally after waiting for so long, the plant emerge back and start flowering too!


I didn't know that it has some medical properties.

From Wikipedia:

The plant is used as an herbal medicine. Decoctions of the root, seed or fruit can be used as antihelmintic to expel parasitic worms or for alleviating diarrhea. Fruit decoction can also be used for gargling. The fruits are also used to combat nephritis. Leaves can be used to relieve pain caused by fever. The roots are used to treat rheumatism.

The seeds of this and related species, Quisqualis fructus and Q. chinensis, contain the chemical quisqualic acid, which is an agonist for the AMPA receptor, a kind of glutamate receptor in the brain. The chemical is linked to excitotoxicity (cell death). The seeds from the pod are useful for treating Roundworm and Pinworm. It is toxic to the parasite and kills it in the digestive tract.




The flowers are just so beautiful and has a nice smell! I just love looking at them! Currently they are making the perimeter wall as their trellis!



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this flower's too. Here we called it as Akar Dani. I've got two pots at home. Almost six months, I'm still waiting for the first bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this plant. The flowers are in 3 shades and the fragrance is nice, like perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call it Ceguk, Wudani or Cendani. Well known as medicinal plant. It's great for pergola. Yours looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really lovely plant. Love the blooms.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Akar dani... love the fragrance... soon it will be all over your place..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers are lovely. You seem to have lots of red flowers in your part of the world or is it my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's right I think I can even smell it from here haha... Lovely blooms and the scent is nice and sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normala: They will definately give you a beautiful bloom!

    Autumn: Tehy are really beautiful!

    endah: I didn't know about the medical properties.... ;)

    sunray: ;)

    suka-suka: ;)

    sue: I think I have many red in colour! hahhaha....

    stephanie: you're so funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete