Thursday, August 19, 2010

Adenium

Finally my Adenium started flowering! It was my mistake to place it under shade when all the plant require is sun and more sun!






Some information from search engine:

Known as Sabi Star, Kudu or Desert-rose.
Native to the Sahel regions, south of the Sahara (from Mauritania and Senegal to Sudan), and tropical and subtropical eastern and southern Africa and Arabia.
Common name: Desert Rose
Botanical Name: Adenium obesum
Family: Apocynaceae
Foliage: Adenium is a succulent bush with thick fleshy branches. The leaves are 3 to10 cm long and oval at their extremities.
Flowers: The plant flowers during the warm months. The flowers are in shades of pink, rose white or white. They are beautiful 2-inch pink open-trumpet shaped flowers.
Light: It prefers to be kept in a place where there is full sun.
Temperature: Adenium likes warm temperature.
Soil: As it is very prone to rotting, they require a gritty, well-drained soil.
Humidity: The plant is drought tolerant.
Watering: Allow the plant to dry between waterings. Often the base of the stem become soft when the plant requires watering. Increase watering when plants are in flower or actively growing. Leaf drop in a common sign of over watering.
Pest and Problems: The plant may be attacked by aphids and mealybugs. Use a water spray or soap solution to keep it clean of pests. Never use chemicals.
Growth habit: It has the ability to grow from 6 1/2 to 10 feet.
Fertilizing: Apply balanced liquid fertilizer monthly.
Pruning: New shoots can be pruned regularly to produce new branches. More branches mean more flowers which are very attractive.
Propagation: Propagation is done from seeds and cuttings. In case of cuttings, the cuttings should be allowed to dry for a few days before placing into a simple sand-peat mix.
Special Care: Leaves normally fall in winter. It is a sign to keep the soil mixture on the dry side.
Landscaping Utility: Adenium is generally used as an accent plant.
Uses: Pot plant
The plant exudes a highly toxic sap which is used by some peoples, such as the Akie and Hadza of Tanzania, to coat arrow tips for hunting.The poison is made of the branches of the shrub Adenium coetaneum.

8 comments:

  1. Very lovely, Malar. I killed my plant through over watering many years ago. Surely Desert Rose will prefer a tougher, desert kind of treatment. Now we know. Always learning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malar is it also known as bunga cina?Or I got confius with other plant;) My mother grow this plant on top of our gate fence near the entrance for over 20years now.She negelected it but it is always thriving. Thanks I will show more appreciation to this plant when I balik kampung!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely plant. Ours did not grow as well and soon rotted. When we pulled it out, the roots was already infected by some insects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One: gardening is the best way to learn about plant!

    Malay Kadazan girl: I'm not so sure if it's similar to bunga cine... But this flowers worth appreciation!

    Kitchen flavour: I guess it's due to over watering! try to water less and see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Malar! Looks like the adenium is really rewarding you well. I love these pink flowers. They are really striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My desert rose never seemed to do well in my garden. Had killed 2 plants and eversince then placed them in the balcony with all the cactus and occasionally water them once a week.
    Now that its raining almost everyday - just watch out that they don't get too much of the water, less it might cause root rot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You adeniums has a lot of flowers whichi is good. I used to have 2 of them. One died and its trunk just turn hollow and collapsed. I have only one left and I'm really pampering it. Even the seedlings of these plants are not cheap. The most wonderful part is when they bloom and the flowers lasts for days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie
    James
    Autumn Belle

    This plant is very sensitive to water intake! I'm trying my best to take care of them. The flowers are really beautiful. I hope to buy one with white flower!

    ReplyDelete