Friday, August 20, 2010

Mint

Mint is very easy growing herb plant! I find it invasive too!

I planted it near the chili plant and i think it's taking over my Chili!

I should move it somewhere else this weekend!






in container
close look

Peppermint is the mint of choice for medicinal purposes. I founds some benefit of this herb:

1) The menthol in peppermint soothes the lining of the digestive tract an stimulates the production of bile,   which is an essential digestive fluid.
2) Peppermint is an excellent breath freshener.
3) Peppermint is reputed to have the calming, sedative effect.
4)Menthol vapors are famous for relieving nasal, sinus and chest congestion.

14 comments:

  1. I have a pot of mint sometime back, but it died, probably not enough of sun! Will try to get another pot soon. Did you plant it from seeds or from the stems? Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im jealous to see your mint plant. Mine never seemed to do well - after sometime, they just dry up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, all your plants look very healthy. You must have a very good understanding to their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, mint is very invasive. It would like to occupy my whole vegetable patch, if I don't pull it out regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine strunk in size after the stems became so woody. Your mints are really look good. Mine, the scent is really strong. What about yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mint plants are looking luschious and green. It is better to grow in a container for easy handling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mint is looking great! Do you know what to do when the mint gets woody and (old looking)? Should I re-pot it? Cut it so it grows new growth or... is mint a seasonal plant, means it dies off after sometime? Sorry too many questions, but I love mint in the garden though I have very little use of it - very little means only 1-2 leaves per use for soda and mocktail garnish, but I totally love it since it gets much attention from my guests I serve those drinks...haha.. with a mint or two, my drinks look like pro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitchen Flavour & James : I planted from stem. Mint needs a lot of sunshine! May be you should try planting them right under the sun and provide regular watering!

    One: I do kill some plants too! hahahaa...

    Lotusleaf & Autumn Belle: They are really invasive but i like their smell. I will purposely shake the plant to get the aroma theraphic smell! hahahaa....

    Stephanie: The smell is quiet strong too. Usually i shake the plant to smell it!

    Rough.rosa: From my observation and reading, we have to prune/ cut the matured stem to promote fresh growth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your mint look so fresh and healthy malar..:)wht u always do wth mint?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Malar, your mint plant looks very healthy! I also grow some in my garden from the stem cutting of the mints that I bought. I prune them regularly when they become too lengthy so that they will have lush growth. I don't use them much but the plant comes handy as and when I want to garnish drinks or food. And I agree the aroma is heady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to mention that if you are keen to have some marigold seeds, please email your address to my mailbox: subangjayadailyphoto@gmail.com. I have collected quite a lot of marigold seeds. You don't need to buy them. I will mail them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. J.C: So kind of you! I will mail to you then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. I like ur mints.. so pretty! My mints had red spider mites and then died. I have no luck with herbs.. If you make ice-blended milk with mint.. it's very nice.. add some berries (strawberries or blueberries) if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OKC: Good idea! I shall try it!

    ReplyDelete