Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bitter gourd at last!

Bitter gourd is a tropical and subtropical vine of the family Cucurbitaceae, which is among the most bitter of all fruits.


There are many varieties that differ substantially in the shape and bitterness of the fruit. The China phenotype is 20–30 cm long, oblong with bluntly tapering ends and pale green in color.The bitter melon more typical of India has a narrower shape with pointed ends, and a surface covered with jagged, triangular "teeth" and ridges.

almost reaching !!

There are many health benefit of bitter gourd that some drink the bitter juice!  It's believed that it has antiviral, antimalarial, anticancer properties. Besides it's cardioprotective too!
 
My bitter gourd have started to bear fruits. Not many but enough for a meal!


6 comments:

  1. I like bitter gourd. Have not seriously grown them before. Is it easy? I've thrown in some seeds but nothing happened or maybe I had mistaken them for weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shape of the leaves. 1 pack seeds i bought and sown but no shadow of them until today after 1 month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried so many times planting them but none of the seeds ever germinate, dont know whats wrong! Will not give up yet since I also love eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it is a problem to get started but you managed. Congratulations.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! Fresh home-grown bitter gourd is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One: I bought the seeds and sow them. The one from the ripen bitter gourd never germinated in the past!

    Milka
    p3chandan

    Try buying the seeds and sow. I tried to buy the ripen one from market and sow but nothing happen....

    Sunray: Yes ! Just the matter of starting! ahhaha..

    ReplyDelete