Friday, June 17, 2011

Pak Choy - 2nd attempt

Once you have planted Pak Choy, you will know how good to have them in your vegetable bed. They are quiet easy to grow, fast to harvest and delicious to eat.


I have transplanted my 2nd batch of Pak Choy last weekend. They are still very fragile now. i need to add egg shell to prevent small snails from finding them.


Some findings on Health benefits of Pak Choy:


■ Pok choy contains certain anti oxidant plant chemicals like thiocyanates, indole-3-carbinol, lutein, zeaxanthin, sulforaphane and isothiocyanates. Along with dietary fiber, vitamins these compounds help to protect against breast, colon and prostate cancers and help reduce LDL or "bad cholesterol" levels in the blood.
■Fresh pak choi is an excellent source of water soluble antioxidant, vitaminC (ascorbic acid). 100 g provides 45 mg or 75 % of daily requirements of vitamin C.
■It has more vitamin A, carotenes, and other flavonoid polyphenolic anti-oxidants than cabbage, cauliflower...etc. Just 100 g of fresh bok choy provides 4468 IU or 149% of daily required levels vitamin A.
■Pak choi is very good source of vitamin K, provides about 38% of RDA levels. Vitamin-K has potential role in bone metabolism by promoting osteotrophic activity in bone cells.
■Fresh bok choy has many vital B-complex vitamins such as pyridoxine (vitamin B6), riboflavin, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins are essential in the sense that our body requires them from external sources to replenish.
■It also contains good amount of minerals like calcium, phosphorous, potassium, manganese, iron and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! Hope you enjoy many harvest from these newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I should have read this posting before Fri. Was in the hardware shop and pondering on whether I should get some pak choy seeds....eventually, I didn't! If I have read this earlier, I wouldn't even hesitate! Now gotta wait for my next visit to the DIY shop or nursery to get those seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots of great health benefits!

    ReplyDelete