Plumeria or Frangipani is flowering plant which produce very fragrant flowers (especially at night) to lure sphinx moth to pollinate them.
I often see this plant by the road side. They have pretty blooms but i didn't realize that the flowers have no nectar! There are many believes on this plant according to different culture. Do you know? What is your belief?
I often see this plant by the road side. They have pretty blooms but i didn't realize that the flowers have no nectar! There are many believes on this plant according to different culture. Do you know? What is your belief?
There is a website which i found very interesting for learning more about Plumeria : http://plumeria.org/
I have 2 type of them in my garden now. Growing happily. I just can't wait to see the flowers. Are they really scented flowers at night?
I like the plant for its healthy looking leaves and of course the flowers.... I check with Kakdah, there is no special belief on this plant... at least not that we know of.
ReplyDeleteNo story from my side either. I know the flower release nice strong fragrance. I have only one plumeria. Still waiting for the plant to bloom. Hope yours will flower soon. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteLooking good.These flowers are used widely in Bali and Cambodia as perfume in soaps, lotions, etc.Are the coloured ones also frangipani? I see lots of those used in landscaping. What colour is yours?
ReplyDeleteRosie
Frangipani is the most sought-after plant since it's widely used in landscaping. It also has hundreds of varieties. I would go crazy just to choose 1 that I like coz too many of them are just beautiful. A friend of mine is a plumeria-fan; she can answer almost anything on it and she operates a nursery with plumeria as its core. This may help. http://pokok-pokok.blogspot.com/2011/06/pembekal-pokok-bunga-ros-floria-2011.html
ReplyDeleteBangchik: My neighbour told me that Malays believe that this tree is house for pontianak! ooppss.... hope not at my tree!
ReplyDeleteStephanie
Buddhist have this flowers in their alter. I have read somewhere about it as holy flower.
My garden haven: Yes! it's widely used in the country! Hope i have the recipe to do soap! ahhahaa!
rough.rosa: Thanks! It will be helpful for me!
The pontianak story is new to me. But the white plumeria is very commonly planted in Chinese graveyards, hence it is often called the graveyard flowers. This plant is very easy to grow and it seems you can grow it from just a small cutting and it does not need much maintenance, hence its popularity. Many superstitious Chinese would prefer to plant the red and yellow variety in their home gardens.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, my neighbour is planted the white variety. Another graveyard plant - Ti Plant is also commonly planted at Muslim cemetaries. I have this in my home garden.