Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ant attack!

I use to think that ants are friends to gardener to some extend but in reality they are pest on other side!  Usually ants use to carry aphid eggs to the plants and make a lot of problem. However here, they make another work as a pest.

I do not really know what they are trying to do with my Ixora plants but their arrival make my plant seldom flowers and looks so unhealthy! The leaves are browning and the stem are turning black.

Look at the branch of Ixora!



The flowers have reduce so much now!


6 comments:

  1. Oh no...so sad. Normally the ant will eat the root, flower bud and also the the new leafs. You need to take the fast action to save your plant. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ants can be a real pain if they are into a plant.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Malar, I have yet to try and chase them away with garlic solution spray. Perhaps you should try them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mosquito spray should silence them for a while, very handy for most people. I used to clean infected plants by water jet, and soap, like washing a car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orchid: I ahte them for all what they are doing!

    sunray: Ants are pest in my garden....

    mahfudz
    bangchik

    I shall try your suggestion! Ants are really pest in my garden

    ReplyDelete
  6. No no no, don't mosquito spray them. Please don't, I'm just spreading the love. It will get rid of them but will harm the plants and stunt its growth. Worse in my case, the mosquito spray is my prime suspect for killing all my patin fish in the system. Use very mild soap solution or garlic/chilli solution and always spray at dusk not during the day.

    ReplyDelete