I found something new on the word Mango!
"The English word "mango" originated from Tamil or Malayalam word "Maangai".The word's first recorded attestation in a European language was a text by Ludovico di Varthema in Italian in 1510, as manga; the first recorded occurrences in languages such as French and post-classical Latin appear to be translations from this Italian text. The origin of the "-o" ending in English is unclear"
As for me i start to google about Mango because i saw inflorescence on my Mango tree! After doing some reading this is what i found:
"The flowers are produced in terminal panicles 10–40 cm (3.9–16 in) long; each flower is small and white with five petals 5–10 mm (0.20–0.39 in) long, with a mild sweet odor suggestive of lily of the valley. The fruit takes three to six months to ripen."
3-6 months to ripen? Ghee...that's a long wait.! I do not know the cultiver of mine but i hope it will be so sweet like Alphonso Mango! hahhahaa....
Pretty. I would love to smell its sweet scent. It will be interesting to see its fruit ripening, even though it takes a while!
ReplyDeleteIt's actually quite pretty considering what it gives you in return is more than just blooms.
ReplyDeleteCher Sunray Gardens
It will be worth the wait Malar. We always have mango trees in our house since I was born. But I never realised how long actually we have to wait for the fruit. Because we never can't wait for the mango to ripen since we like to eat them masam very much.
ReplyDeleteWow, real bunga mangga here. I bet you'll have a good harvest of mangoes soon!
ReplyDeleteHollygarden: I'm looking forward for the fruits!
ReplyDeleteSunray: Yes! It's double joy!
MKZ: eat while young? Oh yes, me too!
Autumn Belle: I hope so much!
That is wonderful indeed! No matter how long, it is worth the wait! Used to have a mango tree when I was young, it is like fruiting whole year round! Imagine all the yummy food that you can do with the mangoes, but the best is eat them fresh! Yummy!
ReplyDelete