I'm always searching for seeds and plants...more and more! Sometimes i feel my garden is a bit like nursery!
Many plants are from my fond memories of childhood! Marigold is one of it! In Malay language it's called "bunga tahi ayam" or direct translation to English is " chicken drop" . Does it look like one? I wonder why such a pretty flowers has a such terrible name....hahahahaa!
Many plants are from my fond memories of childhood! Marigold is one of it! In Malay language it's called "bunga tahi ayam" or direct translation to English is " chicken drop" . Does it look like one? I wonder why such a pretty flowers has a such terrible name....hahahahaa!
My Marigold that i planted from seeds has started flowering!!! It's almost my height!
They are pretty but the name probably comes because they don't smell good. A lot of people use them here on the outside of their vegetable garden to help keep out the bugs.
ReplyDeleteCher Sunray Gardens
Not a very nice name for a plant with such nice flowers... enjoy your marigold!
ReplyDeleteWah tingginya! That area must be pest-free then. I forgot to sow them as companion later with summer veggies, your post remind me that I need to sow some seeds.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that marigolds grow that tall. I never thought to smell my marigolds. I hope they don't smell like chicken drops.
ReplyDeleteThey do stink, but are so cheerful and resilient. Yours are very tall! You must have very good soil!
ReplyDeleteMalar, your marigold is so pretty..they remind me of my childhood, too! I plant them next to my cabbages and broccoli and it does seem to deter bugs. They have an unusual smell, but not too bad. The color in the garden is well worth the strong smell!
ReplyDeleteSunray: They don't have a good smell indded! May be that's why it have such funny name!
ReplyDeleteLrong: Eevn though they smell bad but they are good plant to have in garden!
MKZ: Only this one. Others are short! ;)
B.A.G: Me too! All my other marigold stay low but this is almost my shoulder!
Holley: Not so good soil. It's clay type but may be the fertilizer helps! ;)
Egretta: Great that we have same memories of childhood!
That is a terrible name for a pretty flower. Yours look very healthy. I just saw a huge field of orange marigolds in Indonesia, they use them a lot for offerings.
ReplyDeleteYour marigolds are very bushy and pretty now. I love their smell despite the name. It was the first type of annuals I planted in my garden from seeds. My blogger icon is a picture of my marigolds. By the way, what happened to your icon? Now it looks like an exclamation mark in the comments section.
ReplyDelete