I use to place the basket full of onion , garlic and ginger in my open kitchen. Monkeys use to steal onions and throw my gingers away! Once i put up the "pagar", monkeys stay outside ! hahaha....
This is ginger plant from the monkeys work! i have few of them growing at the shade area of my garden and my neighbour too!
I don't know how to harvest ginger. I haven't google about it yet! Do you think this plant have matured?
Haha.. this is a very cute story Malar. Happens to me thought its me who threw the ginger not monkeys :P
ReplyDeleteI do notice some of my ginger leaves turn yellow after a while not sure it that is the time to harvest, usually I just cut it off and leave the rhizome alone
Ha ha.. that was a nice story. Good that the ginger plant has become so big. In India, ginger is harvested in December - January, when the leaves turn yellow.You can dig a little near the root and see whether they are ready.
ReplyDeleteYour ginger look very healthy Malar. I think my mother ginger always look less green when it has some mature rhizome to harvest. Ginger planted in Adelaide don't grow big so kontot.
ReplyDeleteI have few ginger plant at the front of my house too. Like MKG ginger's mine is also small and kontot.. haha but it worth to plant a ginger here in Melbourne as the price is sooo expensive. It could reach about AUD23 per KG. crazy huh?
ReplyDeleteYou can harvest the ginger by digging to get to the ginger (rhizome) below the stem but you have to let it mature first so that you have bigger ginger. Ive yet to plant them in my garden but my mom used to plant them so that was how she harvested the ginger.Anyway ginger is cheap and readily available here, so no hurry to plant them. Have you seen ginger flower..white and so delicate and soft petals!
ReplyDeleteThe monkey did something right after all! He! He! Very soon you will have some homegrown (monkeygrown??) ginger for your delicious curries!
ReplyDeletenice! i really need to grow some ginger in my garden...
ReplyDeleteDirty girl: thanks for dropping by. Hope you will have handful of ginger harvest!
ReplyDeleteDear All,
Thanks for the information. I shall wait until the leaves dry up then. I really hope monkeys don't linger in my garden! Tehy are such a nuisance!
Eee... why i always miss your post? Maybe you always post at 'weird' time? LOL.
ReplyDeleteNow back to your ginger, how to see if a ginger matured? I don't know. I just let them grow for sometime first and harvest only when i need them. Dig, cut a little and then throw them back into the soil. Bad advice, haha.
Your ginger looks better than mine. Monkeys are a real nuisance.
ReplyDelete