I have 2 pots of Crossandra or Kanagambaram ( in Tamil) or firecracker. They were growing very well until the pest arrived! I don't know what are they but they are tiny white flying insect! they built nest under the leaves and retard the plant!
Now my firecracker plant are on the road of recovery!
I'm just tired of the little pest! I can find them everywhere! I think in another few days I'm going to apply pesticide! I hate using it as pesticide kills the beneficial insect too but sometimes..... it's just too difficult!
Indians use the flowers to make garland of flower which will be offered to god!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAre the tiny white insects whitefly - like tiny moths? I have a photo on my website here
ReplyDeleteYou have a beautiful garden
ReplyDeleteHang in there, Malar. Cut away the infected stems and add some organic fetilizer. See if that helps. I also have those whiteflies. The stronger plants can withstand them.
ReplyDeleteYour crossandra has a nice peach colour.
ReplyDeleteI agree with One. Try not to use chemical pesticides. If the infection is too much, the plant will not be worth saving anyway, so grow a new one. You can try to propagate some cuttings when the plant is healthy and actively growing so that there are extras on standby.
Green Lane : yes! They look the same! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOne & Autumn Belle: Thanks for the word of encouragement and advice! ;-)
I wonder if you can spray it with a strong burst of water - maybe change up some of the soil? Or maybe spray it with a soap solution?
ReplyDeleteHi Malar, thanks for sharing this posting on Cossandra here. I have been eyeing my neighbour's Cossandra that gave out blooms on a regular basis. Thought of getting a pot from the nursery but I don't know its name.
ReplyDeleteDon't use pesticide. The white pest may be mealy bugs. Just use garlic mixed with bird eye chilli, blend with some water. Add some dish washer detergent. Strain the liquid and spray it over your plant. It works effectively for me. Spray daily either in the morning or at nite.