My first attempt on cucumber!
I only see this type of flowers! Cucumber need pollination and it produce both male and female flower. But why mine have only male flowers? Hmm..... Anyone out there to advice?
Their soft tendril holding practically on everything!
Some say to pinch the new shoots or tips. So it will focus more on producing fruit rather than growing leaves.
ReplyDeleteMy experience with growing pumpkin was the same. They started off with male flowers only and I was asking the same question like you, Malar. Later, I learn that this is normal. Male first then followed by female. When the female arrives, it will have several suitors to choose from. It will have eyes only for the strong and macho ones :)
ReplyDeleteAs MKZ mentioned, that could be the solution. Hurting plants by pinching the shoots, or in some fruiting trees by pruning and cutting off branches seem to encourage flowering and fruiting. Male flowers normally will come out first waiting for the arrival of their Cinderella. ~bangchik
ReplyDeleteHi Malar, I have no experience in growing cucumbers, so cannot advise you on this! Just starting to grow pumpkins myself. Your cucumber plant looks very healthy, you do have more green thumb than brown ones! Hope the female flower will show up soon before the males ones die of loneliness!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMKG & bangchik: Thanks for your advice!
ReplyDeleteOne& Kitchen flavours: I really hope to see female flowers and cucumebers!! I have a lot of male flowers now with no female flowers.
Cucumber does have beautiful leaves. I saw a cucumber plant in my backyard that germinated from leftover seeds, now I'm watching its progress. Good Luck on yours!
ReplyDeleteIn England it's possible to buy cucumber seed that produces only female flowers. That might sort out out your problem if you can find an all female variety. Hope this helps.
ReplyDelete