Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bitter gourd flowers!

This is my 2nd attempt with bitter gourd. The first attempt was with 2 unhealthy seedlings which were eaten up by caterpillars!

The plant have started flowering but all are male flowers. I'm waiting patiently for the female flowers.... Due to my busy work schedule, my garden is not well taken care off. Monkeys are partying at the long beans vines and have pull and tear my corn ears! I have to get back to the garden soon!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats Malar! Mine have no sign of germinating yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malar,

    I think you have perfect little garden. Me too have. Gardening gives joy to life. Isn't it? I also published some flower varieties which can be seen in my garden.

    http://wwwmysrilanka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Hopefully you will have many bitter gourd for your cooking pot. The monkey might not like the bitter taste and would probably leave it alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually your bitter gourd looks very healthy. Pichu, my tiny Pomeranian is smaller than a baby monkey. He cannot help except for barking which I don't think worries the monkeys. You need Clifford. But Clifford can be as disastrous as the monkeys. So back to square one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With bittergourd it's always male flowers first...., then followed by female flowers. Soon you are going to have bittergourd fiesta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p3chandan: I have same situation here. It takes so long to germinate and grow!

    shifan: thanks for dropping by. I shall visit your blog soon

    kitchen flavour: you got it right! Now i'm planting everything which is not attractive to the monkeys! hahhahaaa..

    One: I can have Clifford then! the problem is better with dogs! hahahaha....

    Bangchik: Thansk for the information. I thought the plant is not so healthly.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look very healthy Malar. The male always come out first. When they start to produce fruit you can do a little pruning so it focus on growing the fruit. Malar if you put some serbuk chili around the plants, do you think monkey won't get near the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The plant has beautiful foliage. I hope you will be able to harvest bittergourds anyhow. Have a pleasant evening Malar!

    ReplyDelete