Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pegaga?


I have bunch of this plant in my rectangular pot. It looks like Ulam Pegaga or Vallarai in Tamil. I'm not very sure. Do any gardener have any idea if this is edible?


9 comments:

  1. Malar, if its the round leaf pegaga, I won't advise to eat it. Although some people say it edible but I won't take that chance. Its not poisonous or toxic I don't think but I am not sure of its beneficial contents. This specie is usually grown as an ornamental plant. What you want are those varieties that are shown in my posts especially the Centella Asiatica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is Dollarweed--Hydrocotyle...it's an invasive nuisance in my gardens and lawn. As far as edible, I'm not sure...google it I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if it is pegaga. I grew this once and someone told me it is definitely not pegaga. Edible Daun Pegaga is round with an opening on one side of the leave, google for more info on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malar, this is ornamental pegaga. I like the look of it. They are usually grown in pots of water. The edible ones look like Pacman. It has a mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are two types like cinafong said. This one is pretty, ornamental like one said. I have seen gardeners who have found very lovely ways to display the plant. Mine, I just grow it in a pot together with caladium and coleus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malar I used to have these in my pond, they are not the edible ones as been told by the nursery. These have not or just very faint typical smell of the edible pegaga.But they are attractive as ornamental water plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be nasturtium adik-beradik. The leaf look similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear All,
    Thank you for the information! I was wondering since the pegaga i saw in market have different kind of leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it looks so much like Gotu Kola..

    http://openkitchenconcept.blogspot.com/2009/08/gotu-kola-by-any-other-name.html

    ReplyDelete