Friday, August 19, 2011

Balsam

On my mind today




I read some of the benefits from internet:

Different parts of the plant are used to treat disease and skin afflctions; the leaves, seeds, and stems are also edible if cooked. Juice from balsam leaves treats warts and also snakebite, while the flower can be applied to burns to cool the skin.Impatiens balsamina L. has been used as indigenous medicine in Asia for the treatment of rheumatism, fractures, and fingernail inflammation. In Korean folk medicine Impatiens ('Bong Seon Wha Dae') has been used to cure constipation and acute gastritis by meat. One in vitro study found Impatiens, especially the seed pod to have antibacterial activity against Multiple Antibiotic-Resistant Helicobacter pylori. It inhibits 5alpha-reductase, so may have potential medicinal use in male BPH/LUTs. It is widely cultivated as an ornamental plant, and has become naturalised and invasive on several Pacific Ocean islands

.


9 comments:

  1. You have a nice patch of balsams here! It's interesting to know that balsam has medicinal properties. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the looks of it and that it has a lot of uses.
    Ohio Outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, too! I loved reading all the different medicinal properties of this plant. Amazing! I think most plants have some medicinal quality we just don't know about yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The balsam plants from your first batch of seeds had all been replaced by new ones when they self-seeded. Looking forward to the lovely double layered pink and red blooms. Your batch of balsams are looking so healthy!Wow they sure have lots of uses, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many plants in our neighborhood have their own usage.

    We do not know in most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your balsam has made many gardeners happy! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first batch of balsams from you looks like the pictures here but mine did not produce seeds :(

    I love balsams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know the balsam can be so useful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie
    MKZ

    Balsam do have pretty blooms!

    Ohio
    Lrong

    : I was amazed too by my findings!

    Holley
    Rainfield

    It's so true. There are many beneficial plant around us!

    p3chandan: Balsam self-seeds very easily! I still haven't seen any pink!

    ReplyDelete