Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Amaranth

I can find this type of bayam everywhere in my garden! I browse through Internet and came to know that this is Amaranthus dubius. It's famous in India and known as Mulai keerai . It's also called Chinese spinach or red spinach!

Usually it's ruderal species found in disturbed land. Oh yes my housing area is totally new place. previously it was plantation plus jungle area.

I found them in an empty pot at first but now they have invaded many pots!


in rose pot

with bunga kertas

another rose pot

close up

As it's edible, I transferred some of it to the ground. Let's see how it grow!



8 comments:

  1. You are going to get more and more. Just look at the seeds forming on the shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is edible, but pinch out the buds forming. Only then you will get fresh leaves.The leaves taste good only when they are tender and no flowers have formed on the plant. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you are going to have bayam for bfast, lunch and dinner soon with so many sprouting all over. Ive failed in my attempts to plant them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ONE: I hope so. Atleast i can do some tradisional indian dish with it!

    Lotusleaf: thanks for your advice. I will pinch the buds

    p3chandan: I will be happy if i can get handful of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Similar looking plants have sprouted all over my garden esp. the front yard and I have been wondering what they are. Since they are quite pleasant looking I have plucked a few from the ground and planted in pots but done have flower yet. Does it have a nice pleasant fragrance when u pluck or bruise the leaves? I am hoping mine is the same plant :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cina_fong: Pleasant fragrance? i'm not too sure about it. let me check today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malar, more and more of this plant is sprouting on my land and I don't have the heart to pluck them off as they don't look like weeds. I think its due to the rainy season. If only yellow daffodils would appear like in England in Spring haha.. Maybe I should take a picture and email you to have a look. It would be nice to know that its the same plant.

    Remember you posted about another wild plant with tiny purple flowers on long flowering stalks that appeared in your gdn? I recently found a pot at a nursery and didn't hesitate to buy it although it was not cheap cuz I really like it too. You are so lucky to have it growing wild in your gdn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cina_fong: Yes, it does have smell. But please double confirm again before eating it! Daffodils? I wish for it too tegether with lavender! hahahhaaa...
    I think the purple flower was in p3chandan blog not mine....

    ReplyDelete