Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Indian Borage

I have a small Indian Borage plant in my garden. I just planted it 2 months ago. My neighbour gave a small uprooted baby plant. At first it sheds most of the leaves. I thought it won't survive but after sometime it grows back!



I remember when i was young and down with flu / cough , my mother use crush the leaves and give the juice. It taste a bit spicy. But the outcome is very fast. It relief us from flu/cough very fast. Better than tablet medicine and does not cause sleepiness / drowsiness in us.  In fact now she use to add the leaves to children's soup together with holy basil. She told that this can protect kids from getting flu or cough!

6 comments:

  1. Malar I love this plant in my garden, especially the smell, so spicy! I think the leaves are added to Murukku cos the smell reminds me of my favourite Deepavali delicacy crispy Murukku, isnt it? What else can I cook using the leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your indian borage plant does look strikingly similar to the sweet smelling plant we have been keeping since Putrajaya days. But Puan Jamilah, the person who gave as the original cuttings mentioned it as Oregano. Same plant i suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Malar. Often when my children are down with cold & flu and none of the medicine seemed to help - I would crush & get the juice and feed them in teaspoon.
    In few hours they are so much better.

    I had recently took it when my cold became so bad with phelgms - after the first dose, I had coughed out most of the phlegms from my system.

    The only thing is this plant grows a little slow, you may need to cut the matured stalk and replant them for propagation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p3chandan: That is different spice. it's called carom seeds or Ajwain.
    I never cooked with this Borage before. I use it more for medical purpose only. ;-)

    Bangchik: Might be the same plant....

    James: I will try to propagate it once it grow a bit more! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malar, I have this plant. It is called Indian Borage or Cuban Oregano. Very confusing names. There is another type of Oregano which has smaller leaves. In Chinese, it is called 'Poh Ho' which means mint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy this plant from the pasar malam. I used to confuse it with oregano because it smells like it. We boil soup and use it for treatment of coughs and colds. I didn't know we can eat it raw. Can I chew the leaves?

    ReplyDelete