Monday, December 20, 2010

Costus Woodsonii

I have a pot of Costus. At early stage it was putting up so much of it's spiral stems but now the stalks have slow down. May be this is due to place constrain. Or may be due to rainy season?

I kept it under the shade. I read somewhere that the flowers on the bract are edible. I never tried it before. This plant is really exotic and i really hope it will grow vibrantly again!


the bract with flower


Looking not so healthy.....

This plant also known as french kiss or red button ginger

The history of this plant is really interesting. It was first found in 1941 on old bank island in Panama. It was renamed again in 1972 to honor Dr.Robert Woodson who dedicated most of his time on this plant! I was still not born at both these years!

4 comments:

  1. Malar, remember to keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. They prefer semi-shade and cooler places. Look out for offshoots from the stems. I just got one from mine and I have separated it when it started to grow roots. Now it is growing slowly in a plastic bag waiting to be transplanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plant to have Malar! Bright and cheery. Love it :-D The rain is giving my plants problems - pest and no flower ;-(

    That short shrub with big leaf is hydrangea?... lovely assortments of plants you have :-D

    Have a good week and holiday this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn Belle: They have offshoots from stem? great! Let me see if there are any!

    Stephanie: Too much rain is really big problem! Yes, it's Hydrangea. I'm new to this plant too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had the offshoots, I waited until the flower wither off and then cut off the stem (until the ground). Then you can separate the offshoot and put it in soil. You can also cut the leftover stems, about 3 inches with at least 2 nodes, and stick them slanting at a slight angle on the soil. You can grow/root them in a poly bag/flower pot.

    ReplyDelete