Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lipstick Palm

I have 2 Lipstick Palms in my house. Those are my husband's favorite actually. I seldom care for them but they are care free plant!

Lipstick Palm is from Arecaceae family. They are also commonly known as Red Sealing Wax Palm. Some belief this is good feng shui plant.


There are many types of palm around but lipstick palms are outstanding due to their vibrant red crownshaft and leaf arrangement! They really do add colour to a green garden.


The best part of this plant is that , they love water. Their origin is coastal swamp area. therefore they can tolerate flooding and can be grown in standing water! I know who are happy during Monsoon now......

6 comments:

  1. You have many babies from this plant. Soon it will be more beautiful and lush. Ready for Chinese New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those palms are the most expensive variety in India. Your plant is growing well, and has plantlets already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, these are expensive in Singapore too. And I have to say.. this is my favourite palm too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MKZ: My husband have trim it few times already. That's why it look tidy a bit!

    Lotusleaf
    OKC
    I really didn't realize that it's very expensive! It was totally handled by my husband. The only plant that he really trim and check for pest. Now i know why...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lipstick palm is a cute name.... all this while I have calling this palm as red palm or simply pinang merah.... Merry Xmas.
    ~bangchik and kakdah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 3 of this in my garden. It's roots are quite invasive and the baby suckers grows fast, I keep having to trim it down but I like it just the same. Little birds also like to build their nests their and it is very nice to hear their chirping and singing early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete